PROGRAM DATES: January 9, 2019 - April 10, 2019
STANDARD APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, October 12, 2018
STANDARD ADMISSIONS NOTIFICATION: Friday, October 19, 2018
ESTIMATED PROGRAM FEE: $8,950.00* (includes program deposit of $500)
Program fees cover all lodging in-country, most meals, travel insurance, and all sponsored in-country transportation and entry fees to activities. Program fees do not cover UGA in-state tuition† and fees, international airfare, and personal purchases. For more information on tuition and fees, please visit the UGA Bursar's website. The final program fee is subject to student enrollment.
† Note: Out-of-state students pay in-state tuition. Additionally, the HOPE and Zell Miller scholarships apply to those who are eligible. †† Note: The program will include a multicity flight and a regional flight. Multycity flight: ATL to Panama City (PTY); Belize City (BZE) to ATL. Regional flight: SJO (San José, Costa Rica) to BZE (Belize City, Belize).
From the Panama Canal to the Maya ruins of Belize, this program will introduce you to some of the natural and man-made wonders of Central America as you travel through Panama, Costa Rica, and Belize.
The program will start in vibrant and bustling Panama City, hub of international commerce and home to the magnificent Panama Canal. As part of the metropolitan experience, the group will explore the 34-mile long canal and retrace the city’s history by visiting the ruins of old Panama settled in 1519 and the enchanting colonial quarter dating to 1673. From the capital, the journey continues westward to the beautiful beach town of Las Lajas, the highland of Chiriquí, and the scenic archipelago Bocas del Toro.
Crossing into Costa Rica by land, the group will experience the rhythm and flavor of the Caribbean coast before heading to the UGA Costa Rica campus nestled in lush, mountainous Monteverde. From the majestic landscape of the town of San Luis, short trips and day-long excursions to beaches, volcanos and protected biological reserves will help unfold the breathtaking beauty of Costa Rica.
Belize, a sparkling gem in northeastern Central America, is home to impressive Maya ruins, verdant jungles, and miles of Caribbean coastline. This uniquely multicultural and multilingual country, where modern adventure and ancient history meet, will be the final destination of the program as we say goodbye to magical Central America.
Students will have the unique opportunity to enroll for a minimum of 16 credits, of which 9 - 12 hours will fulfill upper division credit.
- HIST (LACS) 4200: Central America and the Caribbean: Studies in Latin American History (3 credits)
- WMST (SOCI) (LACS) 4280: Perspectives on Global Gender (3 credits)
- SOCI (LACS) 4290: Sociology of Latin America (3 credits)
- CRSS(HORT)(ANTH)(ECOL)(GEOG) 4931/6931 - Sustainability of Agroecosystems (for non-science majors)
- SPAN 2002: Intermediate Spanish II (3 credits)
- SPAN 3010: Spanish Conversation and Composition (3 credits)
- DANC 1609: Pilates, Mindfulness, and Yoga (1-2 credits)
- (TENTATIVE)ENGL 3800W: Introduction to Creative Writing (3 credits)
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
- UGA Foundation Incentive Scholarships for Study Abroad
- OIE General Scholarships