Cost: $8,500 *
Dates: January 10 - April 8, 2018
Early Application deadline: April 21, 2017
Application deadline: October 13, 2017 (tentative date)
Study this spring semester at UGA Costa Rica, one of UGA’s three international campuses, nestled in the beautiful mountainous cloud forest of Monteverde. During the Spring Program, in addition to taking the foreing language requirement and core courses, students will spend several weeks living with Costa Rican families. The cultural understanding and linguistics skills gained by living with local families and conversing daily in Spanish, will offer students a full-immersion experience that is rewarding on many levels: personal, intellectual, linguistic, and cultural. The program will take excursions to many regions of the country, from the coastal beaches to the capital city of San José. Don’t be left behind this spring!!
In this program the students are offered a full term of UGA resident credit, with the opportunity to fulfill 15-17 hours of UGA’s diversity requirement; multicultural requirement; foreign language requirement; and core literature and social science requirements for most majors.
Offered only at UGACR!
Proposed Courses 2018:
Take the following SPAN course combination concurrently:
SPAN 2001-SPAN 2002 (6 credit hours)
ROML 2550: Latino Literature, Language and Culture (3 credit hours)
LACS 1000: Introduction to Latin American and the Caribbean (3 credit hours) LING 2100: The Study of Language (3 credit hours) (Optional Course) LACS 4091S: Practicum in Latin American and Caribbean Studies (1 credit hour)
(Optional Course) PEBD 1950E: Fitness for Life Walking (1 credit hour)
These courses count toward the following:
- Core and diversity requirements:
- 9 hours in World Languages and Culture - AREA 4
- 3 hours in Humanities and the Arts – AREA 4
- 3 hours in Social Sciences – AREA 5
- Your College foreign language requirement
- The Franklin College literature, social science, and multicultural requirements
2018 Tentative Itinerary
Program Dates: January 10, 2018 - April 08, 2018
First Half of the Program:
- UGACR and Community Tours
- Homestay #1: living with a Costa Rican Family
- Finca La Bella Coffee Tour
- Guided hike of Monteverde Reserve
- Excursion to San José
- Cultural activities
- Jazz Café
- City tour
- Whitewater rafting on Rio Pacuare
- Excursions to Manuel Antonio National Park on the Pacific Coast
- Caburé Chocolate talk and presentation
- Day visit to Santa Elena
- Excursions to the Caribbean Coast
Second Half of the Program:
- Homestay #2
- Excursion to Tenorio
- La Carolina Lodge
- Horseback Riding
- Tour of Tenorio National Park
- La Carolina Lodge
- Excursion to Playa Sámara on the Pacific Cost
Program fees cover all lodging in-country, three meals per day, travel insurance, and all sponsored in-country transportation and entry fees. They do not include UGA in-state tuition† and fees, personal purchases, and international airfare. For more information on tuition and fees, please visit the UGA Bursar's website.
* The final program fee is subject to student enrollment.
† Note: Out-of-state students pay in-state tuition. Additionally, the HOPE and the Zell Miller scholarships apply to those who are eligible.